- At all levels of ecological organization we can:
- Proximal vs. ultimate explanations
- ultimate explanations are evolutionary based
- Examples of uses of ecology:
- minimize the effects of locust plagues
- protecting crops by predicting when conditions will be favorable
- maintain endangered species
- conserve biodiversity to maintain ecosystem services
- pure vs. applied ecology
- applied ecology is based on the strong foundation of pure ecology
- applied ecology has become important now partly due to political influence
|Functions of ecology|
- What are the uses of ecology?
- How has applied ecology developed and why has it become more important now?