- The importance of temperature in determining the comfort level of human life.
- Altering conditions purposefully (manmade)
- Conditions for plants: agriculture (permaculture)
- It is no wonder that laymen and traditional wisdom in Egypt gives a very high value to a person based on his or her fertility.
- In plants: conditions: survival, growth, reproduction
- Optimum conditions for each plant.
- Plant course: myths: (list needs)
- Sun (too much is bad)
- Water (don't over-water, don't soak it in water nor drown it in water)
- Look for coursera course about plants.
- Understanding the distribution and abundance of a species requires knowledge about:
- its history
- resources it requires
- rates of birth, death and migration
- interactions with their own and other species
- effects of environmental conditions
- Environmental condition: "an abiotic environmental factor that influences the functioning of living organisms."
- relative humidity
- pollutant concentration
- "Unlike resources, conditions are not consumed by organisms."
- For practical reasons, we measure the performance of organisms based on:
- activity of an enzyme
- respiration rate of a tissue
- growth rate of individuals
- rate of reproduction
- Conditions gradually affect an organism's ability to:
- Effects of environmental conditions:
- Extreme conditions are lethal
- The condition is lethal only at high intensities
- radioactive emissions
- chemical pollutants
- The condition is required at low concentrations
- sodium chloride
- micronutrients: copper; zinc; manganese
- "Temperature is the single most important condition that affects the lives of organisms."