- Introducing a new organism diversifies the environment in which it was introduced. This is an interesting concept for permaculture.
- Importance of temperature in agriculture.
- Extreme: to desert dwellers (Bedouins) the water poverty line set by the UN is outrageously high.
- What is the difference between these terms: "organism," "individual" and "species"?
- The concept of extremeness is even relative among individual humans (within the same species).
- The concrete activity, to sense the environment from a plant's perspective.
- The ecologist's ability to 'see' the world from an organisms point-of-view reminds us of design thinking.
- "To a cactus there is nothing extreme about the desert conditions in which cacti have evolved."
- "It is ... dangerous for the ecologist to assume that all other organisms sense the environment in the way we do."
- "The ecologist should try to gain a worm’s-eye or plant’s-eye view of the environment: to see the world as others see it."